The Public Works Department is managed under a single director. The Department consists of the following four divisions.
- Public Works Maintenance
- Public Facilities Maintenance
Lighting & Landscaping Districts
Recycling & Solid Waste Information
Sewer & Wastewater
Pavement Conditions & Paving Program
Senate Bill (SB) 1383
2022 Public Works Department Overview & Update
Please click on the following link PWs Update to Council PPT_05.31.2022(PDF, 12MB) to view a PowerPoint presentation given to City Council on Tuesday, May 31st. The PowerPoint contains an overview of the Department staffing structure, Departmental functions, past year accomplishments, Departmental challenges and goals for the coming calendar year is explored.
Building and Public Works Administration Division, which consists of the Director and one Administrative Assistant, oversees the general operations of the department, coordination of all the divisions and relations with a number of local and regional agencies and partners, including
Public Works Engineering
The Public Works Engineering Division, which consists of a contract City Engineer, two Associate Engineers and a Public Works Inspector, provides
- Engineering, design, construction, and inspection of all public improvements, and provides engineering oversight of all new residential, commercial and industrial development within Suisun City
- Oversees numerous mandated programs and coordinates transportation policy for the City in coordination with other entities
- Supports neighborhood Municipal Assessment Districts
- Provides technical information and consultation to every City department
- Recycling and solid waste programs
Contractors doing work in Suisun City are required to take out a City Business License, and your work may require an Encroachment Permit(PDF, 61KB) .
To view the Final Engineer's Report for the Maintenance Assessment Districts please click here: Final Engineers Report (Fiscal Year 2023/24)(PDF, 1MB)
5-Year Street Cut Moratorium
The City of Suisun City is responsible for the maintenance of 153 lane miles of roadway with over 13 million square feet of pavement. The City has a Pavement Management Program which has a goal to maintain the City’s pavement in the best condition possible given the available funding. One way to achieve this goal is to perform pavement resurfacing to City streets each year.
Along with annual pavement resurfacing, the other way to achieve said goal is to establish a 5-year street cut moratorium to streets that have just received pavement resurfacing. A street cut moratorium will minimize pavement degradation, maintain structural integrity of streets, maintain a smooth riding surface for all modes of transportation, and limit negative visual impacts. California Government Code sections 37350 et seq. and 38775 provide that a municipality may take care of and control its property for the common benefit and prevent encroachments upon public ways.
The City established said 5-year moratorium ordinance(PDF, 1MB) in 2021. Moreover, the City maintains a list of streets currently under moratorium(PDF, 67KB) as well as a list of streets planned to receive pavement resurfacing(PDF, 60KB), which will be placed on the moratorium list once resurfacing is completed.
Public Works Maintenance
The Public Works Maintenance Division, which consists of a Superintendent, two Crew Supervisors, nine Maintenance Workers and a Fleet Mechanic, provides the maintenance and repair of the public infrastructure of Suisun City, including
- Streets Traffic and Street Lights
- Sewers, 10-inches in diameter and smaller
- Landscape maintenance for parks, streets, Harbor Plaza and Marina
- Flood channel maintenance
- Vehicle and equipment care program for non-emergency vehicles
- Graffiti removal
- Cleaning up litter and illegal dumping
- Street sweeping
- Maintaining street surfaces and repairing potholes
- Events clean-up
Public Facilities Maintenance
The Public Facilities Maintenance Division, which consists of 1.5 Building Maintenance Workers, is responsible for providing the following services for all City facilities:
- Custodial services
- Building maintenance
- Building repair