Thank you for your interest in becoming a Firefighter with the Suisun City Fire Department, a virtually all-volunteer department consisting of approximately 50 members. The Department has a career paid Fire Chief and 2 career paid Captains. The remainder of the department members are volunteer, including
- 1 Deputy Chief
- 4 Battalion Chiefs
- 6 Captains
- 4 Engineers
- 5 Driver Operators and
- Approximately 27 Firefighters
The equipment currently consists of three engines, one ladder truck, one quick attack, three command vehicles, two wild-land units, and a utility vehicle. All of the equipment is housed at one station centrally located in the City.
Suisun City is a typical bedroom community with some light commercial businesses. The population is approximately 29,000 in an area of approximately 3.5 square miles. The Department runs approximately 1,800 calls per year with the majority of those being medical aid calls.
Becoming a Volunteer Firefighter
Being a Suisun City Volunteer Firefighter can be a demanding yet rewarding experience. Volunteer firefighters are the backbone of the Suisun City Fire Department. Active participation is mandatory of all members.
Volunteer Firefighter (261.4 KiB, 1,021 hits)
Interested applicants should get the full recruit packet from the Suisun City Fire Department by calling 421-7205.
The Department has two 12 hour shifts, a day shift and night shift.
- The day shift requirements are possession of CA State Firefighter 1 or a graduate of an accredited Fire Academy, EMT, and CPR certified. Day shift members are required to fulfill one day shift per week, Monday-Friday.
- The night shift sleeper program in which volunteer members spend the nights and weekends at the station, thus both shifts giving the City a 24 hour, 7 days a week coverage, with a minimum of three personnel on duty at all times. Night shift volunteer members of the Department are expected to spend four mandatory nights and one weekend day shift a month at the station. Between training and the sleeper program, the average volunteer spends between 700 -800 hours per year at the fire station.
The Department also conducts training every Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Members’ training attendance must be at least 75% quarterly. The entry and testing process for new members occurs annually depending on the need. There are actually seven (7) steps in the process, which are all pass/fail. In order to proceed to the next step you must have successfully completed the previous step:
- Completion of an Interest Sheet
- Completion and submission of a City application, Resume, including a copy of a valid CA Drivers License and a current DMV printout not less than 30 days old
- Physical Agility Test, Written Test, and Oral Interview; (possession of current CPAT waves the Agility Test)
- Background Check
- Physical Exam
- Completion of Firefighter Training Sheets
- Probationary Firefighter Review and Skills Test
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer firefighter, please come to Station 47 and fill out an interest sheet. Then you are notified when recruitment begins. If there are no openings, you will be placed on an eligibility list.
If you have any questions please call Captain Maio or Captain Bounds at 425-9133 or 429-1297 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, Monday – Friday.