The Planning staff is responsible for all advance and current land use planning to ensure the orderly development of the community.
To maintain a high-quality community, the staff ensures that proposed development is consistent with the City’s municipal code, including the City’s General Plan, zoning code, subdivision code, and other land use standards. An application process is employed to review proposed development and modifications to existing development.
In addition, the division implements regional, state, and federal regulations, such as the California Environmental Quality Act. Project review is conducted in coordination with the Building and Public Works Department.
Major projects processed by the Planning Division are submitted to the Planning Commission for consideration and approval, as required by city code, in compliance with adopted community standards and development policies. Some entitlements also require approval by City Council.
The Planning Division works in partnership with a number of other agencies at the county, regional, state, and federal levels, including
- Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG)
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD)
- California Department of Fish and Game
- California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC)
- San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC)
- San Francisco Regional Water Quality Control Board
- Solano County Department of Resource Management
- Solano County Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO)
- Solano Transportation Authority (STA)
- Solano County Airport Land Use Commission
- Suisun Resource Conservation District
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers