Recycling and solid waste services are provided by Building and Public Works through a number of partnerships with private companies, such as Solano Garbage, and other public agencies, such as Solano County and the State of California.
This page is intended as a hub to essential information to assist City residents in complying with a wide variety of Federal, State, Regional and County laws and regulations designed to protect the environment.
Solid Waste services are provided by Solano Garbage under an exclusive franchise agreement approved by the City Council. Below are the key documents governing local solid waste services.
Solid Waste Franchise Agreement (1.4 MiB, 192 hits)
Recycling Agreement (1.6 MiB, 158 hits)
2009 Franchise Amendments (268.9 KiB, 121 hits)
2009 Enabling Resolution (23.3 KiB, 95 hits)
1998 Enabling Resolution (11.2 KiB, 105 hits)
BASIC SERVICE INFORMATION
Solano Garbage provides each single-family home with three 96-gallon wheeled containers: green & food waste, curbside recycling and solid waste. >> Click for rate information
Recycling containers can accept:
- Aluminum and metal cans (labels do not have to be removed)
- Plastic #1-#7
- Corrugated cardboard/box board (i.e. cereal, soda, beer type packaging).
Green & food waste containers can accept:
- Yard trimmings, grass cuttings, small tree and brush trimmings
- Leaves, flowers and weeds
- Coffee grounds, egg shells, grain products and baked goods
- Bones, meat and fish
- Other decomposable matter
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
Household hazardous waste must be disposed of in a controlled manner to prevent environmental damage. The preferred disposal methods available vary depending on the type of material involved.
Curbside Pickup – Motor Oil & Filters
Solano Garbage will collect used motor oil and motor oil filters on regular collection days at curbside for free if they are in approved containers. Oil filter bags are available from local auto parts stores or by calling Solano Garbage. Used oil collection containers must be requested from Solano Garbage by calling 707-437-8900.
BOPA Collection Facility Drop-Off
A drop-off facility is available for residents to dispose of batteries, oil (motor & cooking), paint (latex) and anti-freeze.
Household Hazardous Waste Program
The HHW Program is available to handle the items listed below by appointment only on the 2nd or 4th Saturday of the month. For more information or to make an appointment, call 707-437-8971.
Items accepted through the HHW Program include:
- Paint – Oil & latex paints, stains, varnishes, solvents, thinners, adhesives
- Automotive items – Motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, batteries
- Household cleaners and sprays – Oven cleaners, drain cleaners, bleach, waxes, polishes
- Garden items – Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, ant trap poison, gopher bait
- Other chemicals – Pool chemicals, photographic chemical, flammable liquids and gases, aerosol cans, roofing tar, roofing products
- Needles – Needles must be placed in a clear rigid enclosed container with the lid taped closed to prevent spilling
- Fluorescent tubes – Tubes, bulbs and other mercury-containing lamps.
- Household batteries – AA, AAA, C and D cells, and button batteries
- Mercury Gauges – Barometers, manometers, old thermostats
For information about specific items you have, please call 707-437-8971.
ELECTRONIC WASTE RECYCLING
Solano Garbage operates a free electronic drop-off location at 2901 Industrial Court, Fairfield, Ca 94533, open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m weekdays (closed Noon-1 p.m.). For more information, call 707-437-8900
Accepted items include
- Televisions (no larger than 32 inches)
- Computer monitors
- Computer towers (CPU’s)
- Printers (regular desktop only)
- Hard drives
- Fax machines (regular desktop only)
- Microwave ovens
- DVD players
- Computer cables and cords
- Cell phones (remove batteries)
- Radios (no speakers)
- Shredders (regular household size only)
For additional details on any of this information, click here or call 707-437-8900