Before starting alterations to your home, business or property, consult with the Building Division regarding the need for a building permit.
Applying for a Building Permit
It is not necessary to be a proficient draftsman, but the following basic information must be included on all plans submitted for approval:
Building Permit Application (104.6 KiB, 3,209 hits)
Fillable pdf format (must be filed in person or fax)
- Three sets of sketches or drawings showing the following:
- Plot plan showing the position of the proposed project in relation to existing buildings, the property lines and any public utility easements.
- Foundation detail indicating the type and size of footings used. Acceptable foundations should match the existing foundation type.
- Framing detail showing size, type and spacing of framing members for the floor, wall and roof systems. Also include interior, exterior wall/roof coverings and insulation.
- Floor plan detailing the location of the walls, sizes and types of doors and windows, electrical outlets, mechanical equipment, plumbing fixtures, and the position of smoke detectors.
- Elevation drawings showing two sides of the proposed structure.
Plans submitted for approval may need to be reviewed by the Development Services Department – Planning Division to ensure compliance with city zoning regulations.
- All permits issued require an inspection during and/or at the completion of the work. Scheduling inspections is the responsibility of the permittee.
- No work shall be accomplished on any part of the project covered by the permit beyond the point indicated in each successive inspection without first obtaining approval from the Building Division.
- Inspections may be requested by calling 707-421-7319.